Sunday 8 March 2015

Tools stories

Searching for topic for this post I noticed that recently there is not a lot posts about tools. Of course tools are not game itself but without them project wouldn't be so far in development. So let's rediscover history of Little Big Adventure remake Tools.

History

The first mentions of white rabbit editor can be found in post from 14 November 2010 (PL). And it contains first awesome screenshot:


Isn't it great ? Post from 21 November 2010 (PL) proved that it can be used for creating levels inside game:


Next post from 24 November 2010 (PL) show even more advanced features:


You can notice that there is no Little Big Adventure assets in them. Reason behind it is that at that time LBA remake wasn't developed it wasn't even planned ( Officially it start in December 2010 ).

Next show editor viewport in LBA Preview 7 proving that it's use for LBA development.
Watching this old movies really bring back memories. But I need to tell that game looked shitty at time :|
First more modern version of editor can be found in post from 4 February 2012. So 8 months after preview 7.

Present time

Current version of editor changed in a lot of ways from this firsts version. In the fact I don't even call it editor anymore. I use word toolset :


I do it because it contain

  • Level editor
  • Object tools
  • Gui editor
  • Debug events viewer
With each next iteration everything became more flexible and stable. And I'm really mean it because it's never stop surprising me that after all this big changes that were done in all this years it's still works. And it works better, and I like it.


Sadly I cannot call it production read. It still missing functionality that is needed to finish game. Of course I put a lot effort to fix this problem. But I know it will take some time before it will be ready.

The last thing I want to mention is Twitter account @coffemonsters where you can find news about Little Big Adventure Remake development in really unique form :]

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment